On this date in 1968, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Joni Mitchell, Al Kooper and Ted Nugent met up for an all night blues, folk and rock session at The New Generation Club, New York after hearing the news of Martin Luther King’s assassination. I know it’s been a slow week around here, but there’s a good chance next week will be unslow. That being said, here’s the news:
- Madness’s latest studio album Oui, Oui, Si, Si, Ja, Ja, Da, Da has smashed through the 100,000 mark, making it officially gold status. The album was released on the 29th October 2012 and has had two singles released from it, with the third, ‘How Can I Tell You‘ coming on April 8th.
- The Impossible Girl aka Kim Boekbinder announced her upcoming fan-funded album will be released June 21st and was produced by Joel Hamilton (The Black Keys, Tom Waits, Pretty Lights). Pre-order here.
- Besnard Lakes are streaming their upcoming album over at Pitchfork. Lyrics included!
- Kids On a Crime Spree have a new single coming out April 9th, but you can check it out right here, before it comes out officially. You’re welcome!
- I know we don’t cover a lot of older bands, but when legends like the Rolling Stones announce they’re coming to your town it’s news. Here’s the tour dates for the Rolling Stones 50th anniversary tour thus far:
TBA Los Angeles STAPLES Center TBA
May 5 Oakland Oracle Arena On sale April 8 @ 10AM PST
May 8 San Jose HP Pavilion On sale April 8 @ 10AM PST
May 11 Las Vegas MGM Grand Garden Arena TBA
May 15 Anaheim Honda Center TBA
May 25 Toronto Air Canada Centre On sale April 8 @ 10AM EST
May 28 Chicago United Center On sale April 8 @ 10AM CST
June 12 Boston TD Garden TBA
June 18 Philadelphia Wells Fargo Center TBA
- Speaking of tour dates here’s some Nicki Bluhm tour date news:
|JUN 6, 2013
|BROOKLYN BOWL||BROOKLYN, NY||BUY|
|JUN 7, 2013
|MOUNTAIN JAM FESTIVAL||HUNTER, NY||BUY|
|JUN 8, 2013
|RAM’S HEAD TAVERN||ANNAPOLIS, MD||BUY|
|JUN 9, 2013
|31st STREET PAVILION||VIRGINIA BEACH, VA||FREE|
|JUN 11, 2013
|JUN 12, 2013
|GREY EAGLE||ASHEVILLE, NC||BUY|
|JUN 13, 2013
|JUN 15, 2013
|STICKY’Z||LITTLE ROCK, AR||BUY|
|JUN 18, 2013
|LOW SPIRITS||ALBUQUERQUE, NM||BUY|
|JUN 19, 2013
|ORPHEUM THEATER||FLAGSTAFF, AZ||BUY|
|JUN 20, 2013
|BIT & SPUR||SPRINGDALE, UT||BUY|
|JUN 22, 2013
|LAKE TAHOE OUTDOOR ARENA AT HARVEY’S||STATELINE, NV
w/ Steve Miller Band
- The Veils have announced their return with their highly-anticipated fourth album, Time Stays, We Go. Recorded at Seedy Underbelly Studios in Laurel Canyon, Los Angeles, the album was produced by lead singer/songwriter Finn Andrews and Adam Greenspan(Divine Fits, Arcade Fire.) The band tempted seminal English producer Bill Price (The Clash, Jesus & Mary Chain) out of retirement to mix the record to tape at Metropolis Studios in London, lending the album a rich, analogue sound rarely heard in popular music today.
- Asheville, NC’s Jackson Scott is currently preparing his debut LP, Melbourne, for release on Fat Possum later this Summer. I love this new single so a review will happen when it comes out.
- Maximum Hedrum’s electronic-funk hybrid features Sam Spiegel, the vocals of Derrick Green from the seminal heavy metal band Sepultura, and renowned German musician and producer Harold Faltermeyer, and examines the way our lives are changing through advancements in technology and the Internet.
- FIDLAR has released a video for “Max Can’t Surf” and it’s a trip.